On the occasion of our daughter’s high school graduation, we thought a little about marriage. Imagine that! Anyway, this isn’t really everything any of us need to know, but this is important!
- Achievement ought to be celebrated! There is a time to dance. Don’t go on to the next thing until you’ve rejoiced some. Before you ask for future blessings, express your gratitude for what you’ve had.
- Change, sometimes difficult change, is the only way to the next big thing! Jesus, “for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2). Making the decision, making the move, and adjusting in the transition are difficult, but there is glory on the other side. Press toward the goal of a “full life” kind of marriage!
- It’s not just a piece of paper. It is very important! A diploma represents the learning you’ve experienced. A marriage license represents the commitment you’ve made – legally and spiritually. Don’t skip that step and don’t treat it with contempt once you’ve got it.
- Knowledge must lead to wisdom and action! Quoting Ephesians 5:33 and walking it are not the same. Husbands, love your wives! Wives, respect your husbands. Want to know how? Check out Love and Respect in the book, on CD or on DVD.
- Friendship is essential. God was right when he said, “It’s not good for man to be alone.” Friends were critical in high school and celebrating with others is better than celebrating alone. Friendship is critical in marriage. Be a friend to your spouse and have other Christian Couple friends. It makes life better! Much better!
What would you add?